Saturday, December 8, 2012

Μέντωρ

Today I have a honour to express my gratitude and say some words about my

MENTORS - teachers, supervisors and professors.



In Greek mythology, Mentor (Greek: Μέντωρ, Méntōr; gen.: Μέντορος) was the son of Alcimus or Anchialus or Heracles and Asopis. In his old age Mentor was a friend of Odysseus who placed Mentor and Odysseus' foster-brother Eumaeus in charge of his son Telemachus, and of Odysseus' palace, when Odysseus left for the Trojan War.



Because of Mentor's relationship with Telemachus, and the disguised Athena's encouragement and practical plans for dealing with personal dilemmas, the personal name Mentor has been adopted in English as a term meaning someone who imparts wisdom to and shares knowledge with a less experienced colleague.




  I may not forget'em for they contributated a lot to my life! 

SCHOOL EDUCATION (1986-1997)

Actually my school has been named Lyceum Nr. 1 (category of educational institution defined within the education system of many countries, mainly in Europe. The definition varies between countries; usually it is a type of secondary school.) 



But I have finished the school-college Nr. 45 (in a Soviet aera, it had been titled just "Secondary School Nr. 45"). However, my school hasn't been an ordinary one, it was a specialized language school - with intensified instruction in foreign languages. We had French from the second term of the 1st grade/year and English from the 5th grade/year. It's not very common for a "normal" Soviet and/or Russian school. That's why they call my school the "French school". And I am proud of it. Foreign languages helped me to open a new world, everything, I am occupied with, is turning around languages. Thank you, my sweet French school!!!



 I do realize that it doesn't look like any well-groomed western school in Germany, UK, France or in the USA, but for that time of Brezhnev-Gorby period it was not bad at all. 

My special thanks is for my former Director: Ludmila M. Shevchenko (as well as my teacher of Literature (1990-1995) - the subject which doesn't exist in the today's Western School World!)

My greatest gratitude is to my teacher of technical translation from/into French (1995-1997): Dr. Tatiana A. Demina


Nowadays, she is Director of Lyceum. 

In honour of the 15 years-after-the-school, we presented a bunch of 15 roses:


I am also thankful to my teacher of French (1993-1997): Dr. Irina V. Perekhodko: 


Video-presentation of my school: http://orenlicey.shkola.hc.ru/2012-06-06-09-45-28.html


GRADUATE EDUCATION (1997-2002)

My first university studies have been done in Russia as well - at the Orenburg State Pedagogical University (www.ospu.ru).


Department of Foreign Languages, Section of French language and didactics.

Sincere thanks are given to all my teachers and especially to my former patronesse: Dean of Foreign Languages Department - Prof. Galina V. Belaya


She has been a very strict but fair boss! She has been my first supervisor for my graduate research on language-based area studies.


I am often nostalgic about that time at the faculty.

My special gratitude to my first French teacher at university: Dr. Larisa V. Kolobova


She is actually the new Head of French Chair! Supi!!!

I hope that I was a good student.



In 2002, when I worked already as an Assistant of Chair, we organized a French-speaking student drama club "COLOBOQUES". This time was unforgettable!!!



Here is one video on the French in Orenburg (in Russian):



Here is video on our University as the first intitute of higher education in Orenburg region:



POST-GRADUATE EDUCATION (2002-2005)

My first real research, I suggest, has been supervised by Professor Nahim A. Shekhtman:


He had been one of the first graduates of our University in the 1950s and defended his first PhD (Candidate of Sciences) in 1956, then the second one (Doctor of Sciences) in 1977.



He is a great mentor and supervisor, very calm and precise, a serious linguist with a very wide and deep knowledge in various areas.




DOCTORAL EDUCATION (2005-2008)

I have effected my PhD research at the Paris X University (www.u-paris10.fr).


It was my first abroad experience - very interesting and fruitful. I have been supervised by one of the best French textual analysts/linguists of today - Professor Jean-François Jeandillou.



He is very technical, methodical, systematic, direct and simple. He contributed a lot to my thesis on textual onomastics and deonomastics and I am endless thankful to him for guiding, explaining, proof-reading and correcting.

His website is here: https://sites.google.com/site/jfjeandillou/

There is only one video of his presentation during a conference: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xo6e66_jean-francois-jeandillou_news#.UMOji4M3j14

MERCI MONSIEUR JEANDILLOU !!!


No comments:

Post a Comment