On the 8th of January 2016, the ANS will be hosting a special panel on literary onomastics during the annual conference of the Modern Language Association (MLA) in Austin, Texas. The title of this year’s panel is
“Names in the Literary Workplace”.
Three papers will be presented during this event:
- Linguistic Imperialism in Doctor Dolittle (to be presented by Jonathan Rey Lee
- Screen Names: Names and the Limits of the Human in Don DeLillo’s The Body Artist (Candace Caraco)
- Naming and the Work of Revolution: Julia Alvarez’s In the Time of the Butterflies (Christine De Vinne).
The official scientific abstracts for this event can be found here.
The panel will take place from 10:15am to 11:30am, in the Austin Convention Center.
The American Name Society presents two conferences per year for name scholars, enthusiasts and linguists.
American Name Society Annual MeetingJanuary 7-10th, 2016 in Washington, D.C.
In conjunction with the Linguistic Society of America, the ANS meets once a year for paper presentations, panel discussions, and general comradery over food and drinks.
• Notification of acceptance by September 30, 2015
• Registration information available in October 2015
• Registration deadline November 14, 2015
Conference InformationRegistration Deadline: November 14, 2015
Steps to Register:
1. Join ANS or Renew ANS membership by October 15, 2015
2. Register for the LSA Conference*
3. Register for the ANS Conference by sending in the 2016 ANS Registration Form
*To register for the LSA Conference, please go to the Annual Meeting Page and click on the red “Register for Meeting” button at the top of the page.
Non-LSA membersTwo discount codes have been provided for regular and student attendees: LSA2016SSREGULAR, LSA2016SSSTUDENT
LSA memberPlease do NOT use the above coupon codes when logging into the LSA website.
CheckoutAt the checkout, you will be able to either pay immediately online with a credit card or to pay later offline by clicking on the “pay offline” option to generate an invoice for your institution. The LSA also has a pdf registration form available.
If you have any problems with LSA registration, please feel free to contact Dr. David Robinson drobinson[@]lsadc.org.
Registration FeesLSA Registration
Registration fees vary depending on how early you register:
Student … $70/ $78 /$115
Under-/Unemployed … $75/ $85/ $100
Nonmember… $290/ $320 /$390
Nonmember Student … $115/ $130/ $155
Emeritus/Spouse/Guest(s)/Student … $10
Hosting Graduate Student(s) and/or International Members(s) … $45
The special LSA 2016 Annual Meeting room rates at the Marriott Marquis Washington, D.C.:
To make a reservation by telephone, please call 1 (888) 236-2427 and be sure to mention you would like the “Linguistic Society of America Room Rate”. These rates will be honored, subject to availability, three days before and after the Annual Meeting. Alternatively, you can register by clicking here.
ANS Panel at the Modern Language Association ConferenceJanuary 7-10th, 2016 in Austin, TX
Conference InformationThe panel will include the following three papers:
Names in the Literary Workplace
- Jonathan Rey Lee, Independent Scholar, “Linguistic Imperialism in Doctor Doolittle”
- Candace Caraco, Notre Dame of Maryland University, “Screen Names: Names and the Limits of the Human in Don DeLillo’s The Body Artist”
- Chris De Vinne, “Naming and the Work of Revolution: Julia Alvarez’s In the Time of the Butterflies”